Watch for Warning Signs
Recognize the warning signs of debt trouble. Remember, it can happen to anyone, no matter how smart, educated or accomplished, and no matter how much money you make.
The warning signs include:
- Being behind on the basics such as your mortgage, rent or utility bills
- Using credit cards to buy items you would normally purchase with cash, such as groceries
- Skipping some debt payments to make others
- Receiving overdue notices or getting calls from debt collectors
- Spending more than 25% of your take-home pay for credit card debt payments
If you find yourself experiencing any one of these warning signs, call Consumer Credit Counseling Service of Northeastern Iowa right away.
Don’t wait. The time to tackle debt is before it becomes an even bigger problem.
Visit www.annualcreditreport.com. This is particularly useful if you are trying to rebuild your credit, as you’ll want to review what existing debts you need to satisfy before moving forward.